Saturday, October 14, 2017

Planning

I seem to have a hard time finding something to wear each morning, and yet my closet is full. I decided i needed to sew with a palette, a plan in mind.  So i pulled many fabrics from my stash that complimented each other, thinking i would be able to create a mix and match wardrobe. 
Fabrics pulled from stash
I ened up with browns, rust, blue and oatmeal. I love all these colors! There will be 3 pants, 4 tops and 3 cardigans/jackets.  Dark blue denim, rust denim, brown corduroy all for pants. B6327 and Vogue 8774 most likely. Then a navy crepe, striped knit and red plaid and blue striped shirting for tops. The latter will be button ups, going to try McCalls 7470. The striped knit a self drafted cropped boxy T.  The navy crepe a vinatage Vogue, 7288. The checked crepe not sure yet.  Then there is a quilted brown solid for most likely the Kelly Anorak and the teal knit for a cardigan. The quilted oatmeal knit is already a cardigan (the Blackwood). Just seeing all these fabrics together, really excited me! I am lookimg forward to seeing how I do and how well they fulfill the goal of easy mix and match.  So I decided first up was the dark denim jeans. B6327. I have made these before, so fitting was not an issue. Working with a Tried and True (TNT) pattern just makes the process less stressful and more fun.  These jeans took about 9 hours all together. I LOVE them! 
B6327 I wanted them to have a little simething extra, so I used a dark red thread for all the topstitching and used the triple stitch aka the lightening stitch.  I really love the depth it adds. 
B6327
In studying pocket designs online, i had seen someone use a label where just one letter showed, so I copied that! Just the K from my label can be seen on the back pocket. 
Inner front, fun pockets and waistband lining! Once i had already topstitched the back, there was a little gatherhing of the upper back where it joined the waistband. to remedy that without having to remove my topstitching, I unpicked the center back portion of the waistband, created two small darts in the back, and reattached the waistband. Worked perfectly! 
Fitting the back
This pattern did not have a back yoke, and i felt the expanse above the back pockets looked odd without one, so i created a faux yoke. I just drew it with chalk and then topstitched it. A faux yoke! Breaks up the real estate in the back. 
Faux yoke
Funny that the denim looks black, it is really dark blue. I think these might be my favorite pockets yet! I used a diiner plate to trace the curve with chalk. 
Back pocket love
 
Buttonhole error
  I accidentally put the button hole too far from the center front and I had already cut it open. So i just extended it to be where it should have been and then did a wide satin stitch to close up the end that shouldn't have been there! Worked pretty well, and i am going with the thought that it looks like a design feature. 
Buttonhole design feature
B6327
  Not sure which is next up on deck....maybe the boxy T !   

Stay happy Keep sewing And if you can't sew Knit some baby socks!

 
Socks for Kimber
Kimber! 2 days old.
   

6 comments:

  1. those jeans are fantastic, the fit is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your plans! Love those back pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine. I think they are my favorite pockets so far.

      Delete
  3. I'm so impressed with your jeans, and sewing with a plan. That's something I need to put some thought into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, I think you already create a wardrobe that works well together!

      Delete