Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pfaff is back and I have been busy!

I finished my April jacket, spring in Flagstaff requires a jacket. The 12" of snow we had last night and today, require more than this jacket..... but, I can wait, suppose to be almost 70 by next Friday. This is the New Look 6799 again.

I took a 1" tuck out of the back and 1/2" out of the front pieces.  Was very boxy otherwise.  I also added 3 inches in length so that I could have a deeper hem.  I added ties to the back to give it a different feel and hemmed the sleeves deep, so that I could cuff them.


 

I tried piping for the first time. Not sure how I feel about it. Can't tell if it looks nice or looks cutesy. I was not going for cutesy.  I don't plan on buttoning it, so I didn't bother with buttons or button holes.  Wanted a lighter and fresher look.  There is a snap as the top closure, covered by these vintage yellow buttons.

I think it will look nice with a pair jeans.  (-:

My dress is almost finished... actually only needs hemming.  It is New Look
6020.  I am making view D in front, with the lower back of B.
  New Look - 6020
Here are some pics of it earlier in the process.  I love the fabric, looks like a Monet watercolor.
I tissue fitted the bodice to my KG2, and could see the princess seams were not going to fit me.  I made a muslin of the bodice to get the princess seams to fit my curves.  I needed to get rid of gapping at sides above my breast in the armhole area and then the same area on the back piece. I also made the front armhole with less of a scoop, where you can see the white in the front of the arm below, I altered that to fit closer to my arm.


 The fit is much better.  So I transfered the changes I made on the muslin back to my traced pattern.


Here are my traced pattern changes on top of the original pattern
 You can see, I 'unscooped' the front armscyce quite a bit.  Hate to have that area showing. 

Here is the bodice out of the actual material.


I used 'Nancy's' tutorial to attach the lining to the sleeveless bodice.  The whole time I am following it, I am thinking, there is No way this will work!  But I followed her instructions to a T, and viola! It worked and it was perfect!


I will post a pic wearing it once I have hemmed it.  (-:

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Love that new jacket. I think the piping looks chic, not at all cutesy. And yes, I too have to make that same underarm adjustment for the sleeveless dress I'm working on these days. Isn't it great that we sew and can make it work for us....although I will admit I dislike the pattern work the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty jacket and I love the fabrics you are using. Floral prints are in and these are really nice.

    ReplyDelete