Sunday, March 1, 2009

Burda World of Fashion Magazine

I read so much about the BWOF patterns that Pattern Reviewers try, and I love the idea of patterns that are diff than the big 4 that I inquired into a subscription.....$80.00 here in the US for this German fashion mag. It comes out monthly and CONTAINS patterns that you trace and go. For inquiring they sent me the Spring 3/2009 for free! This issue contains 10 coat/jacket, 8 blouse/top, 8 dresses, 3 pants, 5 mens and childrens patterns. As well as photos of all of these pattens made and their fabric suggestions. That is alot of patterns!! albeit, that I won't want to try them all, in this issue there are two so far that are intriguing - #114 the trenchcoat and 106 the blouse and 107 the dress...ok, so there are 3 SO FAR that are intriguing. But looking at the pattern sheet that you trace from looks very intimidating!! I am trying to decide if the investment is worth it.....if any one passing by subscribes to BWOF, please leave me your thoughts on the patterns / magazine and ease (or not) of the patterns.
Happy March!

5 comments:

  1. So, funny, but I went through this same dilemma in March of LAST year. I have sewn with BWOF almost exclusively since then. You should check out the early BWOF posts on my blog. I wrote down a lot of tips and tricks I learned early on. Good luck!!! It really *is* worth it if you plan on making 2-3 garments per issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I sort of have the opposite confession. I've subscribed for years, just because I enjoyed getting the mag--never got around to making anything. I've always liked Burda patterns, though and these are drafted off the same blocks. After seeing the great stuff that PR reviewers have made, I've started making them. I've made a small deal with myself to sew at least 12 garments out of it this year (not necessarily one from each issue). $80/12=less than $7. It's a lot more manageable when you look at it that way :-) I also have put a copy of the line drawings of each issue in a binder, and more recently, I scanned those into pdf files so I can refer to them while I'm online or away from my notebook. Why not buy a couple of issues before you commit? Usually larger bookstores carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for you input ladies, I really appreciate it! Dawn I will check out your older blogs as you suggested. Keep you posted....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sew quite a bit from BWOF magazines. There are some issues I might not make anything but then there is other issues I make several items. If you aren't sure, maybe purchase one issue and give it a try.

    Thanks for the comment on my McCall's jacket and to answer your question, I really like my jacket. You should make it, great jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as BWOF goes- I live in Denver and Tattered Cover usually gets copies here so I keep watch on the BWOF website for issues I really want and buy those at $9 each. I'm contemplating quitting the big 4 completely because BWOF sizing is actually *gasp* somewhat accurate! I also find that I can alter the patterns into almost anything once I've got the basic blocks from BWOF.

    ReplyDelete